My magic castle

My magic castle

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Magic Of Ritual

We are taught that good habits and good routines will help our lives run more smoothly. I have no doubt that is so. But since adding magic to our life is about adding a deeper, more fulfilling dimension I would suggest that we also need good rituals. The difference between ritual and routine is that rituals have mindfulness. A ritual is enacted to remind us that depth, the sacred, beauty, magic, love and so on are meant to be part of our life. Look around as see where you can add rituals to your life in order to affirm glory or joy. It doesn't have to be complex or hard. Some simple action that helps you remember that life is or can be wonderful. For me, when I spend time organizing my work area I seem to be involved in a ritual of sorts. On my mind all of the time I am sorting papers and finding the right places for things is the thought of how much I love ideas and my desire to share positive ideas with other people. Then from time to time I discover some gem, like some thought I had jotted down that I had forgotten. It now seems fresh and exciting to me. A ritual contains the idea 'start out as you mean to go on'. So when you get in your car and run through a few safety checks like making sure your seat belt is on, that your mirrors are well adjusted and that the way is clear, you are doing a ritual that will carry the idea of safe driving with you. Even saying 'good morning' or 'good night' can be rituals. We do wish that the day or the night will be well. If you have routines that can be upgraded to rituals with a bit of mindful attention, go ahead and do that. We are wise magicians who bring the extra dimension into our life in whatever way we can. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment