My magic castle

My magic castle

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Magic of Boy Scouts/Weight Watchers/Sunday School etc

You may not want to solve your particular need for magic (life problem) by going to any of the groups I mention in my title.  But they embody some of the principles of magic.  You may remember: As above, so below- As within so without.- As without so within.  Sunday school, Weight Watchers, Boy Scouts and many other groups send out the message that you can choose beneficial actions.  They may seem to be telling you what these actions are, but still the choice is left in your hands.  You can choose habits of movement, habits of speech, and habits of mind.  This last one is truly where magic resides.  You can choose how you think.  If you find you are thinking habitually negative thoughts you can learn how to derail these thoughts.  You can take a break from these thoughts.  Today someone told me about her husband feeling really depressed but when he got up and took a walk around the block he found he had regained his balance.  He could once again deal with the teenagers in the home.  I myself, have been struggling with anxiety and mental fatigue at certain times of day for years.  I had been offered medication for it a year of so ago but a side effect was hair loss.  It didn't seem to help that much anyway.  I had discovered that there are articles and videos about brain plasticity at the time.  I had to try to re-wire my brain.  I'm not as far along as I hope to be some day.  But for a few weeks I have noticed a definite increase in my moods.  The big basket of hopelessness just doesn't get dumped over my head like it did.  Even if I do get a whammy again from time to time, I believe I have learned strategies that will enable me to cope.  My two favorite "get away from the anxiety hag" tips are: to think about things for which I am thankful and to connect with people in some way.  So, I suggest to all wise magicians that you set up your own self-improvement meetings.  It can be just you, yourself and you.  But on a regular basis it will help you to visit the idea that you have the power to do things to make your life better.  You can reach out.  You can learn. You can learn from your experiments.  You can get help from friends.  The magic is yours.  May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment