My magic castle

My magic castle

Friday, December 14, 2012

The Magic of a Sentence

Sometimes the urge to call up magic to help us is because we are being fuzzy headed.  I want to remind all you wise magicians out there that using the structure of good language may really help you.  A sentence is meant to express an idea.  We all know that.  But I have students who come to me that are so busy trying to rush into myriad ideas they are not even expressing one idea clearly.  Let alone going from a well constructed sentence to building a logical and clear paragraph.  They may be trying to impress me or someone else, but they are stuck in a morass of swamp thought.  Another thing I see is awfulization.  That is a term that refers to making oneself feel bad by using terms like 'I never...' or 'I always...'  This is not clear communication because the statement is not well supported.  Such a sentence would be more grammatical even if it went something like this: "I feel like I never catch the bus on time."  But what I see is "I always miss the bus, I never catch it on time, I am always late to work." When you are feeling fuzz headed, down, lost, really in need of magic it is good to pick up one of your magic wands and work a bit of magic.  A pen is a magic wand.  Write out what you want.  Write it out over and over, modifying as you go, until you are clear about your situation and what you might try to improve it.  Use sentences that have a subject and a predicate...a noun and action or state of being. Self discipline gives you a sense of power and then the ability to call magic to you.  Simple, clear sentences will do wonders.  Write out a call to magic and enjoy better things in your life.  May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment