My magic castle

My magic castle

Monday, September 26, 2011

Principles of Magic, Big to Little and Little to Big

I think that my blog, to a great extent, is a gentle urging to people, wise magicians, to leave the school of hard knocks and start their own success school. Sometimes clues for this magical creation can be found in big ideas that boil down to little gems. Sometimes an idea comes from a little bit of information that has huge implications and applications. I was recently reading research about PTSD and trauma recovery. One of the things a therapist was encouraged to do was to listen to the client about their trauma until it had been completely processed. I then thought how a person's day can seem traumatic, although on a lesser level. It is good for them to have someone to listen to until they really get if off their chest. It may take a while for a person to really hear themselves and this is done more completely when they have a listening ear, that is a loving ear, to talk to. I used to say that I liked to talk about something until I heard myself and then a bit more until I bored myself and could move on. There is a technique that can be used when you want to get things off your chest, don't have someone to talk to at the moment, and want to keep track of the development of the insights as you gripe. This technique can be called "The Kvetch". One way to do this is to draw a line down a piece of paper so you have a bigger than usual side column. Then, in the main part of the paper, you begin your griping. Make it intense. Start out with terms like: Woe is me....I always...I never.... Do all the awfulizing you want. When you have processed the emotions of the gripe you may start to find humor in the maudlin way you are carrying on. Increase that until you can actually smile or chuckle. Then go back and in the big column that is still blank note the real problems for which you can find solutions. Plan the steps needed to get those solutions. A little thing like pen and paper can help you find ways to make big changes. Start small to go big. You can make big changes in your life. Let the energy and principles of magic help you. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment