My magic castle

My magic castle

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Magic Of Hard

Taking on hard things is the way to do great things. Just because something is hard doesn't mean it should be avoided. In August Newsweek reported on its ranking of different countries for quality of life. The US was ranked 11th. Ten other countries have better health, live longer, have better education and so on. The writer I first read who mentioned this was from The New York Times, Thomas L. Friedman and it was run in today's Denver Post. Mr Friedman felt that we have slipped because too many of us are no longer willing to put forth hard effort. The wise magician knows that effort is vital in order to accomplish our desired goals. The way you take on hard things is with consistency of effort, preparation, willingness to take as long as it is needed to do the task, cooperation, and keeping your eye on the goal. Creativity also helps. Remember that hard things are made less painful when there is an air of magic about the effort. Work songs were developed to help people push those handcarts across the plains, to lay all those miles of railroad track, and many other jobs that got done as our country was becoming great. Songs, games, or whatever it takes to put a smile on your face or a lilt in your heart is part of the magic you can access to take on hard things. Don't be afraid of them. It is better to be afraid to run from them. Now I had better take my own advice and get busy on my re-write of Thimblewyck and some other writing tasks I have set myself. I hope you will have fun challenging your hard tasks as well. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment