My magic castle

My magic castle

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Magic Of Reversal

I was in a Village Inn tonight and got quite a laugh out of the different slogans they had on their walls trying to interest people in buying dessert. One said "Stressed? Reversal is the cure?" I had to think a minute to realize the reverse of stressed was desserts. There is a technique encouraged in brainstorming and other creative work which is the same sort of thing--if you need an idea turn the concept or object you have upside down, around or inside out. That often generates many good new ideas or solutions. Of course we have all heard the advice to 'turn a frown upside down to get a smile'. Turning things in a different direction or way can be helpful. So look at the things that bug you in your loved ones. Does their noise irritate you? Look at it in a different way--the noise is a sign that they are there with you. Look at other irritations all around you--you hate the rain but don't really want to live in a terrible desert. I didn't like the long grass and weeds in my yard but they did provide me with some much needed aerobic exercise today. I mowed the lawn. So take your magic wand of "ability to look at things in new ways" and see what you can reverse, turn on its head or twist to give you a new story, a new recipe, a joke or something else of value. It may help your life even if it's just a laugh. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment