My magic castle

My magic castle

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Magic Of The Threshold

In literature a hero must go on a hero's journey that starts when he crosses his first threshold. All of us are on a hero's journey whether we realize it or not. We are our own hero. We cross many thresholds. Even the simple act of crossing the threshold of your home opens you up to adventure and discovery. The minute you go outside there is the possibility that you will hear new bird songs, that you will see new sights, that you will make new discoveries. For me I feel like I have recently crossed a symbolic threshold or two. I am involved in a deep rewrite of a novel. I am looking at more than grammar and plot arc. I am also exploring themes and what I have to say about life. Becoming more aware of what I have had to say in this way has given me a deeper understanding of myself and my values. Knowing more thoroughly who I am has made me feel like I have stepped into another world. This is making it easier for me to throw out passages that don't fit into the scheme of things. I have been discovering my own voice, my own style. When other writers critique my work I have a better idea of what to listen to and what to ignore or how to put my own spin on it. I think every magician has to discover something like this for themselves. We need to know who we are and what we stand for and be able to take responsibility for that. Many stories of magicians speak of the time the magician retired from the world. For instance Merlin was gone away from Arthur's court. The time away from the world is a time of inner discovery and requires a decent amount of effort. But one comes back more in charge of one's magic. Let the magic that surrounds you give you the courage and energy to cross the thresholds you need to cross. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment