My magic castle

My magic castle

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Magic Jig-Saw

As we get involved in a drive to reach our goals we are in danger of becoming too linear in our thinking. In fact we can be so involved in the process that we get off track without realizing it. It is very important to pull back and look at the big picture once in a while. If we use the concept of 'putting together a jig-saw puzzle' as one of our thinking tools or magic wands we may find that success comes to us more easily than if we just go full steam ahead. Each piece of the jig-saw that we put in place fits in relationship to its neighbor as well as being an important piece of the overall whole. This is especially true for creative endeavors. I am trying to start a young adult novel with the working title of 'The Protector'. I was having a lot of trouble with the plot points. I knew the changes I wanted my protagonist to go through, I thought, but some of the actions just wouldn't gel. Finally I backed up to look at the big picture and realized I have made some mistakes in crafting this young man's character. Without crafting a well-formed whole this story was not going to fall into place. No matter how well I thought up actions and troubles I couldn't make things hold together. But I used the concept of the 'Magic Jig-Saw' and now I feel like I understand the protagonist much better. I can create actions that will make sense for who he is. I can now go back to my linear plotting. But I won't try to reach the goal or the end of the story without fitting the pieces in place where they are meant to go. Life is meant to be well formed. We are multi-dimensional beings. If you are ignoring part of your big picture you may be in danger of not being able to put your puzzle together. Reach out to the magic that surrounds your for help in finding your fit and balance. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment