My magic castle

My magic castle

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Magic Wand Of Attention

They say that what you pay attention to expands. That can be both a warning and a promise. Attention is like any magic wand. You must be careful where you point it. For months and months I was aware of a part of my living room that just wasn't right. We had not fully moved into our new house. I kept focusing on that area as a cluttered and hopeless area. Then I began to pay attention to it as an area I could change. When I quit pointing my attention at the clutter and instead focused on a better use of that space a magical change began. What was hopeless wasn't that hard to change. That space is becoming less cluttered, more attractive and efficient. The same things are there. But they sure do look different.
When we focus on a drug problem rather than a wellness goal it is the same thing. Or on problems with a relationship rather than the joy of making changes for the better. Be careful where you point the attention wand in all cases. For me I can change the focus on my health. I have a particular health problem that is irritating and takes up time dealing with. I believe I will change my focus from worry and irritation to more healthy habits such as decreasing sodium, increasing exercise, improving my diet, increasing hydration. Even if I don't immediately see a change in this particular problem I will see a change in my focus and worry habits. That should help bring down my blood pressure by itself. Each concern is like a coin. Coins have two sides. You can focus on the delights and good points of something, including the delight of making it better for yourself. Or you can focus on the negative aspects. If you do so the negative aspects will seem to grow until they overwhelm you. So, as a wise magician, I suggest you look around you and focus on the good in your life. When you see changes you want to make focus on the successful ways you can make them. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment