My magic castle

My magic castle

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Magic of Acccountability

Last week a student who was planning on applying to the nursing program was discussing whether he was ready to take the TEAS(test of essential academic skills).  He was talking about his life and his habits of communication.  I saw a particular pattern that I thought might not be that helpful to him.  He had been telling me how stressed he was and he certainly looked stressed.  When I asked him if this particular habit was working out for him he suddenly changed his whole appearance.  He told me it wasn't and that he planned on changing.  It was amazing how much he changed in appearance and how good he told me he suddenly felt.  He decided to make the decision that was right for himself, not the one he thought someone else wanted him to make.  All I had done was help him become accountable to himself.  But it did seem to work magic in his life.
Some times we get a small or even a large wake-up call.  It is good to stop and listen to that call.  It is not helpful to just go along in the ways we always go if those ways don't work that well.  Only by judging, by being accountable, can we see and make the needed changes.  You can bring magic into your life by training yourself in mindful and purposeful thoughts and actions.  Bother to look at the moon, smell the flowers, tell your family that you love them.  Fix small problems before they become big problems.  Please the part of you that wants fulfillment.  Remember, magic is well formed.  That means that you have to craft, watch over, and nurture your life.  Be accountable for directing yourself towards happiness and goodness.  Make a difference.  May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment