My magic castle

My magic castle

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Magic Of Review

As you know I love to do research, especially about the history of ideas. Tonight I was reading about paganism and attitudes about it. Magic was defined by the author as basically the search for maturity. All the spells, amulets, talismans and charms of the ancients, she said, were to give strength and courage to the person trying to develop enough discipline to be in charge of their own life. I have known that way down inside myself, but being a magician sounds better, to me, than being a grown up. So, what is one of the tools we can use as we go along our path to being an effective magician. I believe we have to be aware of and keep track of what we are learning. Every epiphany, insight or magical discovery has a charge of excitement when we first meet it. But it can become obscure and forgotten when the next discovery comes along. It is easy to make big plans. It is not so easy to put those plans into action. Often it is because we forget about them. We need to review our personal goals and monitor how well we are doing in our drive to achieve them. Are we becoming the magician we want to be? I suggest that one way to make review of growth effective is to make it enjoyable. Endow it with magic. An example I can think of is to visualize a magnificent trophy case. In it we have a display of awards, certificates and trophies. These trophies are ones we have earned for changes we have made in our character, or thinking skills we have gained. I would have a small but delicate display of earrings. This display is to remind me that I am proud that I have gained control of my tongue, to some extent. At first I would have to bite it(my tongue) to the extent that I imagined I had put holes in it that would hold fine jeweled earrings. Someone else might find themselves singing a song about their skills to the tune of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.""One big thing that I can do is speak right up straight and true. I add one on and pass it around...a second thing that's right for me..." You get the idea. Make a pleasant way to review what you can do, what you are learning to do and what you want to learn to do. The magic that surrounds you will give you the energy to do whatever you need to do in this realm. The magical result is that your achievements and improved life will go along more smoothly. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment