My magic castle

My magic castle

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Magic Of Memories As Resources

There are memories that are just pleasant pictures, memories that haunt us and memories that act as resources for us. These are reminders of our inner strength. Those memories can be very helpful to us. For instance, one distant very cold winter in Denver it was hard to walk from the bus stop to my cozy warm home. I had to tell myself that if I could get a few sections of sidewalk farther I could make it even farther. Too much ice to run and the snow was deep as well. Chanting that if I could make it to one spot I could make it to the next helped me ignore the cold enough to keep from suffering, made it kind of a game, and soon enough I would be in out of the cold. That's a mild example of times I have called on my inner resources but it's one of the many I can call up to remind myself that I can "hang in there, baby." I have overcome shyness, fear, despair, confusion and more. If I don't have a memory that is strong enough I can imagine how it would have been if I had been able to do something a little better than I did. If I learned to count to ten I can imagine learning to count to one hundred and I will know I have the resources to do more. The wave of "I can't" that hits us when we contemplate something hard doesn't need to stop us. It is just a reminder that it is well to be prepared. Prepare for the difficult. Then we can marshal our resources and take on the challenge. If you learned to walk, talk, feed yourself or any of the other things you have already done in your life you have abilities to do wondrous things. Go for more. May the spark be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment