My magic castle

My magic castle

Monday, January 11, 2010

Make Pets of Your Worries

Last night as I went to bed I knew I was in need of the zing that comes from magic. I needed to imagine something fun and enjoyable. As I was in the half dream state, drifting off to sleep I was musing on the way sleep knits up the raveled sleeve of care, as someone once said. I decided to go to my fantasy castle. The castle was chilly so I snuggled into the pile of warm wonderful furs I had on my bed. Some little creatures approached me and asked if they could also cuddle. I said yes then found out they were a gaggle of my worries. I decided to allow them into my nest and accepted them. I had been blocking them away, looking for someone else to handle them, running from them and so on, before. As I accepted them they told me, in soft squeaky voices, that they were my friends in the way that other negative feeling could be. Signals. In as: anger is the signal that there is something that needs to be dealt with. My worry pets said they had come to me to see to it that I was firmly anchored in the real world. That I was not to sort them away in boxes but to visit with them from time to time. They promised that if I would do that, in a friendly way, they would help make my life in the real world better for me. Peacefully I agreed and drifted off to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific dream! It reminds me that Jesus said, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matt. 6:25-27, NIV). And "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow...Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matt.6:34, NIV)

    Sometimes our efforts not to worry end up as worries about worrying! I read something helpful about that in a newspaper today. It said a trait of resilient people is that they can see how negative things can produce positive outcomes. It seems to me that your dream was a way of anticipating the positive outcomes. You were befriending your worries by integrating them into a creative activity (your dream).

    ReplyDelete